Thursday 27 May 2010

My Intercultural Experience in Kyoto

One of the aims of my internship in Japan is to deepen my intercultural experiences.
I am interested in different cultures, not only learning about them, but also experiencing them myself.

I chose to come to Japan so that I can live in the culture that I wanted to know more about.

I therefore attended many cultural events in Kyoto during my stay here.
A few classical examples include the Aoi Matsuri, a parade of people in Heian times costumes on the streets from one Schrine to another, to celebrate its traditions.
Another one was the Three Boats Festival in Arashiyama area.
For both festivals, the streets were packed with not only tourists, but many local Japanese people, both young and old.
I am touched by the city's cultural awareness and respect for its own traditions.
With today's modernization, most teenagers and middle-aged people tend to neglect their background, traditions and cultures.
I am surprised that in Japan, a modern and civilized country as it is, still pay great respect to their traditions and cultures. I think it is a very positive thing and is a reason behind its prosperity and security, because they show great respect for their country's values, traditions and culture.
Traditional practices are well-kept, especially in Kyoto.
In down-town Kyoto, you will see numerous people still dressed in traditional Japanese clothing (Kimonos) with their hair set and in their wooden slippers. Not only old people dress this way, it is also popular among teenagers to wear Kimonos. One can easily see their pride in their nation and I would have been just as proud as well had I been Japanese, as the Kimonos and accessories are very beautiful indeed.

Cultural events like Geisha (or Geiko in Kyoto) tea ceremonies in tea houses; Geisha dance festivals etc, are still practiced today.
The Japanese traditional practices and culture are well-preserved until today, and I am glad they are because they make Japan the special country it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment